Assistant Ecologist – Permanent Role
IES Consulting is a small ecological consultancy based just south of Bristol, so we’re ideally situated for you to gain experience with a wide variety of species and habitats. Established in 2009, our staff have over 40 years’ combined experience in the sector working on a wide range of projects from minor home improvements up to large multi-phase developments and national infrastructure. Our team are experienced in managing complex scenarios including a wide range of UK habitats and fauna. We are a Registered Practice with CIEEM, and ethical employment is one of the key values on which the company is run.
We are looking to recruit a permanent assistant ecologist to join our friendly, professional team. We don’t expect you to have much experience – if any – what we’re looking for is someone who is enthusiastic about wildlife and nature and eager to learn. If you have done any ecological work (volunteer or paid), please let us know in your covering email.
- Educated to at least degree level in a relevant subject
- Eligible for membership of CIEEM at Qualifying level
- Enthusiastic about the natural environment
- Self-motivated and fast learner, able to work independently
- Excellent written English and good communication and interpersonal skills
- Full driving licence and access to own vehicle
- Willingness to work outside of normal working hours, and excellent time-keeping
- Live within commuting distance of Bristol or willing to relocate to within a reasonable distance of the office & eligible to work in the UK
Working alongside experienced ecologists, we will train you to undertake survey work and write reports for clients. Over time, this will extend to project management and managing sub-contractors with support from senior management team and obtaining protected species licences. We understand this might be your first professional experience, and we want to make it a good one.
We offer the following standard terms of employment:
- Minimum annual salary of £20,000 (37.5hr week) (negotiable depending on experience)
- 28 days of annual leave a year (including 8 bank holidays) and the ability to buy/sell/carry over up to 5 days of annual leave a year
- A comprehensive TOIL system to ensure a good work life balance and we limit out of hours work to a maximum of 3 nights a week
- A CPD budget of £500 per year (plus any travel and subsistence costs for courses), and extensive in-house training with training review and planning sessions
- Sick pay at your full salary for 20 days per year (then statutory sick pay in accordance with the law)
- Employer contribution into your choice of pension, free annual eye test and cover the cost of upgrading your car insurance to business use
- We pay for your CIEEM membership & CSCS card and support you through the application/upgrade process
- We support a hybrid model of working, with office and home working being used as appropriate
- As you’d expect, we provide all the equipment you need to do your job, including PPE and branded clothing, laptop and mobile phone.
The following skills are highly desirable:
- Knowledge of QGIS
- Experience working under protected species survey licence
- Evidence of ability to undertake simple Preliminary Ecological Appraisals
- Previous ecological survey experience
- Bat acoustic analysis experience
If you don’t have these, please still apply, but if you do, then we’d love to hear from you. The salary is negotiable for an exceptional candidate with previous experience of ecological consultancy work including office work and report writing, so if you’ve got 1-2 years under your belt, please get in touch for an informal chat.
Closing date 25th March, but please note we will be assessing applications on a rolling basis and will close to applications prior to that if we have the right candidate pool.
Please send a covering email with a CV of no more than 2 sides of A4 to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you’d like to have an informal chat about the role, please email to arrange a suitable time. Interviews will be held either in person or via video call depending on covid restrictions. We will reimburse costs for those selected for interview.
Please see our news page for details on how to get added to our subcontractors database for the 2022 survey season.